PCO Technology: The Basics You Would Like To Know
Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) is a powerful technology discovered in Japan, which uses dual Ultraviolet for air purification. The process is still in its unfolding stage in many countries, but its results are nothing but miraculous. And after decades of deterioration of the air quality, PCO technology has become essential.
How Does PCO Technology Work?
PCO technology is used to eliminate harmful factors such as germs, dust, harmful microorganisms, and other particles that are invisible to the human eye. The dual UV reacts with a catalyst (essentially TiO2) to break down Oxygen and produce negatively charged ions and highly reactive Ozone, which together as a unit is called the “Plasma Quatro”. This process causes air pollutants to clump together, which makes them too heavy to remain in the air, resulting in them falling. It is powerful than any other ordinary air filter, as it can eliminate contaminants down to 0.0001 microns. In case of the microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria, or mold, the charged Ozone affects the cell walls of these organisms, which obstructs them from reproducing and causing them to decompose. This practicability makes it highly useful for hospitals, labs as well as homes.
- Pollutants that can be removed using PCO technology.
- Harmful Chemicals such as Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrous Oxide, and so on.
- Toxic gas such as Formaldehyde, exhaust fumes, toluene, benzene, and so on.
- Chemicals with strong odor such as Ammonia or Hydrogen Sulfide.
- Volatile Organic Compound (VOCs), pollen, mold, bacteria, virus, and as well as allergens.
Applications Of PCO Technology
- Refined Air: By eliminating the above-mentioned air pollutants and microorganisms, PCO technology can be used significantly to improve air quality and enabling sustainable living.
- Reduce Unpleasant Smells: As PCO technology can destroy most VOCs and organic gases that tend to cause odor, by ensuring not only clean air but the reduction of odor. For example, PCO technology can be used to remove the smell of smoking tobacco, gasoline, or even smells originating from urine or fecal matter.
- Reduced Energy Consumption: PCO technology promotes sustainable living. And another way, it enables that is by consuming lesser energy than most other air filters.
The Coronavirus crisis has led to an increase in the usage of PCO technology in hospitals as well as homes. Polluted air lead to many health risks including diseases caused by airborne viruses. As industries and automobiles continue to deter the air quality, you can ensure healthy living by installing purifiers using PCO technology.